Here are the answers to our quiz on key news topics from February, plus some additional background information.
1. Where does Canada rank on the Transparency International Corruption Index?
Additional notes: The index is based on expert opinion of the level of public sector corruption; whether people are held accountable for corruption; the perceived level of bribery; and how responsive the government is to the needs of citizens.
2. Which public figure has put their name and money behind Weight Watchers?
Additional notes: Oprah bought shares in the company in October 2015 and earned more than $43,000,000 as the shares rose based on her involvement. She also lost 26 pounds.
3. Which Canadian national retailer has begun insolvency proceedings?
Additional notes: The company’s 90 stores may be sold off in whole or in part and bankruptcy could occur by the end of March.
4. What happened to Canada’s jobless rate this month?
Additional notes: The jobless rate went up to 7.2 % in January, with Alberta leading the increase because of the decline of jobs in the oil sector.
5. Which social network saw its shares drop by 40% in market value?
Additional notes: The shares dropped 43% on forecasts that the company’s revenue will decline.
6. Which country possesses the worlds longest coast line?
Additional notes: Canada’s coastline spans 202,080 kilometres.
7. Which team won Super Bowl 50?
Additional notes: Denver Broncos defeated the Panthers 24-10.
8. What virus is spreading globally and has devastating effects if a pregnant woman acquires it?
Additional notes: The Zika virus is spread by mosquitoes and is mild in most people but is suspected to cause brain deformity in newborns.
9. What is Super Tuesday?
Additional notes: In the United States, Super Tuesday is when the greatest number of states hold primary elections to select delegates to party conventions at which presidential candidates are officially nominated.
10. Who won album of the year at the 2015 Grammy Awards?
Additional notes: Taylor Swift won for the album entitled 1989.
Click here to view questions.