Here are the answers to our February quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information.
1. In American political terms, what is an executive order?
Additional notes: The constitution of the U.S. states that the President shall have certain executive powers. All presidents have issued executive orders.
2. What special event took place January 21, 2017?
Additional notes: More than 5 million people worldwide participated in local marches.
3. Which countries are Canada’s two largest trading partners?
Additional notes: These relationships are uncertain now as Britain exits the EU and President Trump pushes for a renovation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
4. Who performed during half time at Super Bowl 2017?
Additional notes: Lady Gaga did a great job; however, some fans thought she copied Pink with her aerial moves.
5. How many new words did Merriam-Webster add to their dictionary this year?
Additional notes: Some new words include ways that people describe their relationship with technology, like binge-watch and abandon ware, and others are words that have crept back into fashion like snollygoster.
6. Why did refugees who had been seeking asylum in the United States walk across the border into Manitoba?
Additional notes: President Trump issued an executive order banning refugees and immigration from seven mostly Muslim countries. However, courts put it on hold.
7. What Canadian manufacturer is receiving a $372.5 million loan from the Federal Government?
Additional notes: The company is disappointed that the amount was nowhere close to the $1 billion they had been seeking. Bombardier invests in research and development in Canada as well as manufacturing aircraft and other items.
8. Who is Jason Leuschen?
Additional notes: Jason is a Royal Canadian Air Force pilot who is one of 72 candidates for two positions.
9. What store was slammed by Donald Trump?
Additional notes: Nordstrom announced they would be dropping his daughter Ivanka’s clothing line due to poor sales. Trump tweeted that his daughter had been treated unfairly.
10. February is known for:
11. What Canadian play opened on Broadway this month?
Click here to view questions.