Here are the answers to our quiz on key news topics from October, plus some additional background information.
1. What key item in our Consumer Price Index is sliding in price?
Additional notes: There is currently a glut of oil on the market, driving prices down for gasoline, home heating and other products that rely on oil for distribution etc.
2. What professional sport launched its season in October?
Additional notes: The NHL season started in October
3. What has the Bank of Canada decided to do with interest rates?
Additional notes: The free fall in oil prices, Europe being on the edge of recession, ongoing tensions over ISIS and Ebola fears have all caused the Bank of Canada to remain cautious
4. What signs indicate that the global economy is faltering?
Additional notes: There are some positive signs: Canadian manufacturers are seeing increases in exports and the US economy is showing some growth
5. The new mayor of Toronto is:
Additional notes: John Tory achieved 40% of the vote.
6. Canada Post will make the following changes across the country:
Additional notes: In an effort to cut costs this delivery method commenced rollout this month, despite consumer complaints about accessibility and safety.
7. Corporal Nathan Cirillo was laid to rest October 28, 2014, a Canadian hero. What regiment did he belong to?
Corporal Cirillo was gunned down on Parliament Hill in Ottawa while on guard at the National War Memorial
8. Who is the Sergeant-at-Arms at Canada’s Parliament?
Additional notes: Sergeants-at-Arms of the Canadian House of Commons are senior officials of the House appointed by the Governor in Council. The Sergeant-at Arms assists the Clerk as head of parliamentary precinct services, performing certain ceremonial functions (bearing the Ceremonial mace of the Commons) and being responsible for security and building services.
9. The Chief Medical Officer of Health recommends that Canadians receive the following vaccine in the fall:
The flu shot is especially important for people who have a compromised immune system, seniors, young children and their care givers.
10. Which reality star loves the Blackberry?
Additional notes: Kim Kardashian owns several Blackberries and her testimonial for these devices is helpful to the Canadian company.
11. What company is seeking approval for an Eastern pipeline?
Additional notes: Trans Canada Pipelines is getting ready to seek approval for an Eastern Pipeline, which they believe will be a boon to Eastern Canada.
12. Starting next month, Netflix will be offered to customers of:
Additional notes: As part of their TiVo strategy, Cogeco will be offering a watch anywhere, watch anytime strategy.
Click here to view questions.