This article looks at a large conglomerate that is undergoing major change.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, target market, demographics, sustainability
Key Questions to Explore:
- How agile does an organization have to be to stay relevant in this rapidly changing economy?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This article outlines some of the challenges faced by a new CEO at Rogers Communications to ensure that the business stays profitable in an ever-changing landscape.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Survey the class to see who watches or listens to anything broadcast by Rogers. How do they engage with the media?
- Ask students to think about ways in which the media world is changing.
- Distribute article for reading. Since this article is very lengthy, you can assign as homework, or do an in-class jigsaw, where you break the article up into parts and have small groups read and review a part to share with their peers.
- Use the Triangle, Square and Circle tool to have students discuss the article.
- Triangle: What are the three most important points discussed in the article? Groups may need to negotiate this.
- Square: What is mentioned in the article they agree with and fully understand?
- Circle: What is something that is still circling in their mind that needs further investigation or discussion?
- Combine groups to share their thinking.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have each group select one thing that is circling and do a further investigation to understand what it is and how it might impact the business and the industry. Share with the class.
- Students understand the impact change has on an organization.
- Students prepare a one-minute paper on one aspect of their understanding of the changes that are happening in the media as a result of technology.