This article explores how technology can help a local enterprise engage a wider community.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, entrepreneurship, technology, disruption
Key Questions to Explore:
- How is technology disrupting the entertainment industry?
Introduction to lesson and task:
The 4th Industrial Revolution is upon us and all sectors are impacted by the disruption of technology. This lesson shows an example of the positive potential of technology.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask each student to take a piece of paper and fold it into quadrants.
- Starting in the centre, ask them to draw a spiral as tight as they can without lifting the pen or pencil until you say (allow about 1 minute). Drawing the spiral serves to clear their minds so they can focus on the task.
- In each quadrant, ask students to respond to the following questions:
- What technology has most improved their life?
- What technology do they find most entertaining?
- What technology is most annoying?
- What technology do they wish was available?
- Organize the class into groups of four and have them share their responses.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Using a Conversation Café format, ask one person in each group to host the conversation. Their job is to ensure everyone abides by the rules. The group identifies a talking object, say a pen, and the talking object is passed around the group twice so each student has a chance to comment.
- Ask students to comment on the article, what they think about the CYA technology and how Michael Wekerle is planning to apply it to music entertainment.
- After two rounds with the talking object, have each group have an open conversation about their collective thinking.
- Finish off the discussion, using the talking object and asking students to cite their own observations.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Use a wicked question (questions of exploration or discovery, used to expose the assumptions which shape our actions and choices) and have students prepare a poster to demonstrate the following: What opposing yet complementary strategies should Mr. Wekerle pursue simultaneously in order to ensure the El Mocambo’s success?
- Students are able to articulate what disruption means.
- Students brainstorm a list of disruptive technologies, citing the benefits and drawbacks of each.