This article examines some tips to increase the likelihood of success at work.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Careers, business studies, entrepreneurship
Key Questions to Explore:
- What can I do to help control my work day and increase my chances of being successful?
Frontload, worst-case scenario
Student copies of (or access to) the article
Introduction to lesson and task:
Often people find themselves overwhelmed by their jobs and the result is lack of production, frustration and even despair. Without an understanding of their causes, these situations continue and a sense of desperation enters the picture. It is often hard to step back and analyze the root problems and so these situations usually continue until there is some form of intervention, either imposed by outside forces, such as employers or life events, or internal actions such as breakdowns or resignations. Successful people appear to operate above this fray, however. But what allows them to do that? They seem to have the ability to handle whatever comes their way and thrive.
There are some strategies and approaches that, if employed correctly, can help prevent feeling overwhelmed and out of control and which can help in reaching that level of success and control. This article will give the students some pointers on establishing a successful approach and the lesson will have them reflect upon these and other potentially helpful strategies.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Begin the lesson by asking the students if they have ever felt overwhelmed by a situation.
- Get some of their responses and see if there is any commonality to them.
- If they have not indicated any examples of job situations, ask them if they have ever experienced this while employed.
- If there are examples have the students relate those experiences.
- With this as background put the students in pairs and assign them the following role-playing task:
You are in the Human Resources department of a new, high stress company. Just recently the company expanded and added 10 new employees who, as a group, are going to be given a training session before they begin work. Part of that session will be tips on how to be successful at work and you have been asked to develop and present some pointers. Prepare those pointers.
- Allow the pairs time to prepare the list of tips they would provide.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Once the pairs have completed the task, have them report their list to the class and respond to any questions or comments.
- The students will be able to provide a list of tips to help someone be successful at work.
- Once the groups have reported and discussed their lists hand them a copy of the article and allow them time to read it.
- Once that is done, conclude the lesson by having the students compared their lists with the article and comment on the degree to which they believe these tips would be helpful.