Here are the answers to our December quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information
1. What is Movember?
Additional notes: Movember encourages men to raise money for prostate cancer research by growing mustaches for the month of November.
2. What is commemorated on December 6?
Additional notes: On December 6, 1989, 14 women at Polytechnique Montreal were murdered. The act of violent misogyny shook our country and led Parliament to designate December 6 as the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women.
3. What have Canadian officials warned drivers about?
Additional notes: Moose need salt and typically get it from lakes, but they have learned they can get salt from cars during the winter and this is very dangerous for them.
4. Who did Justin Bieber team up with for his newest release Monster?
Additional notes: Shawn Mendes is from Pickering, Ontario. This is the first time these two musicians have collaborated. The song is about the troubles of fame.
5. Who was the first indigenous hockey player to play in the NHL?
Additional notes: Henry Maracle played 11 regular season games and four playoff games for the New York Rangers in 1930-31. However, Fred Sasakamoose is more commonly referred to as the first indigenous NHL player. He played 11 regular season games for the Chicago Blackhawks in the 1953-54 season before returning home to Canada, where he played in minor leagues. He was given the Order of Canada in 2017. He passed away November 24, 2020, at the age of 86.
6. Who is leading Canada’s coronavirus vaccine implementation plan?
Additional notes: Major-General Dany Fortin, who most recently served as the chief of staff for the Canadian Joint Operations Command, has been appointed to lead the logistics and distribution of the vaccine beginning in January 2021. He was appointed by the Prime Minister and will work closely with the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister as well as Rick Hillier, Retired General, who is leading Ontario’s implementation plan.
7. How many people were awarded the Order of Canada in 2020?
Additional notes: The Order of Canada was created in 1967 and is given out every year to recognize outstanding achievement, dedication to community and service to the nation.
8. How much money is the federal government proposing to spend to kickstart the economy once we have Covid-19 under control?
Additional notes: The recent financial statement outlined spending of $100 billion over the next three years to get the economy going again. This will create new jobs and get people back to work.
9. What is the amount of the new home office deduction the government is allowing on income tax for 2020?
Additional notes: Every Canadian who files taxes will be allowed to claim $400 without any receipts required for home office expenses in 2020.
10. Which YouTube videos saw the highest number of views in 2020?
Additional notes: YouTube released its top videos for 2020 and they were the four above in that order.
Click here to view the questions.