Here are the answers to our March quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information
1. Why is the Bank of Canada staggering the release of new banknotes?
Additional notes: Issuing a new note every few years will allow the Bank to incorporate the latest security measures and ensure Canadians continue to have confidence in the notes.
2. Why is Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) no longer selling Vista products, such as water bottles?
Additional notes: Vista sells guns and ammunition including assault style weapons. After the Parkland massacre MEC wants to distance itself from this.
3. What international event was marked on March 8?
Additional notes: International Women’s Day was declared by the UN in 1975. The purpose of the day is to recognize women for their achievements.
4. What event took place March 14 across the US?
Additional notes: Students from high schools, universities and even elementary schools walked out of class for 17 minutes in honour of the 17 victims of the Parkland, Florida, shooting and to protest gun violence.
5. Which is the first province in Canada to outlaw non-medical cat declawing?
Additional notes: Other provinces are likely to follow.
6. How long has Vladimir Putin been President of Russia?
Additional notes: Putin is 65. On March 18 he was re-elected for another term.
7. What annual event takes place at the White House on Easter Monday?
Additional notes: This tradition started in 1878 and has continued to this day with short interruptions during the two World Wars. Thousands of children roll eggs across the White House lawns with a spoon.
8. Service Canada has implemented new ways to address people. What is it?
Additional notes: Front line workers at Service Canada are asked to use gender inclusive language or gender neutral language.
9. Which awards ceremony took place Sunday March 25, 2018?
The event is hosted by Michael Bublé and the Barenaked Ladies reunited to perform on the show that celebrates music.
10. What demand has the US dropped with respect to NAFTA?
Additional notes: The auto content has been a major sticking point in the NAFTA talks. Dropping this contentious demand is eliminating a key roadblock to a deal.
Click here to view questions.