Here are the answers to our March quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information.
1. What happened to the sea turtles in southern Texas?
Additional notes: Residents started rescuing them from the unusual snowstorm and extreme cold. They were brought to the local convention centre to warm up.
2. Who is the leader of the Canadian Nationalist Party?
Additional notes: He is 29 years old, from Redvers, Saskatchewan. He has been charged with wilful promotion of hate in connection with a video titled Beware the Parasitic Tribe. The video refers to “inside manipulators” who infiltrate the media and the central bank.
3. How many COVID vaccines have been approved for use in Canada?
Additional notes: The Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson and Johnson vaccines had been approved as of mid-March. Novavax will be reviewed shortly.
4. What is Perseverance?
Additional notes: Mars 2020 is part of NASA’s Mars Exploration Program that includes the rover Perseverance and the small robotic helicopter Ingenuity
5. What national retail brand is closing all its stores?
Additional notes: Canadian Tire owns National Sports and it is closing the stores because there is too much duplication.
6. How old was Toronto on March 6th?
7. What is CERB?
Additional notes: Canadians who lost income as a result of the pandemic were entitled to the benefit and it has been extended from 26 weeks to 38 weeks.
8. What country has experienced the devastating impact of a recent oil spill?
Additional notes: A recent oil spill in the Mediterranean has hit the shores of Israel.
9. What award will the Tragically Hip be receiving in May?
Additional notes: The Tragically Hip are receiving the Humanitarian Award at the Junos.
10. What is the theme of International Women’s Day 2021?
Additional notes: International Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8 all over the world.
11. Who is Canada’s Hockey Dad?
Additional notes: Walter Gretzky was Wayne’s father and father to four other children. He passed away and his funeral was on March 6, 2021.
Click here to view the questions