Here are the answers to our quiz on key news topics from May, plus some additional background information.
1. The Duke and Duchess of York had a baby girl in MY. What is her name?
Additional notes: The middle name Elizabeth is a nod to the baby’s great grandmother Elizabeth, Queen of England and the third name is a nod to Diana, Princess of Wales and deceased mother of William, Duke of York.
2. In 1990 Canadians owed 85 cents for every dollar of annual disposable income? How much do they owe today?
Additional notes: The total debt owed by Canadians is a record $1.8 trillion, with mortgage debt making up $1.29 trillion of that.
3. Which Canadian province elected an NDP government after 43 years of Conservative rule?
Additional notes: The NDP won a majority in the recent provincial election. As oil revenue dropped, citizens began to look at their government differently.
4. Which social media company moved into new office spaces in Toronto?
Additional notes: The new space is expansive and offers many opportunities for collaboration. Twitter management anticipates this will be their new Canadian home for the foreseeable future.
5. Canada has dropped its visa ban for visitors from which country?
Additional notes: Liberia has declared itself Ebola-free and Canada has responded by allowing visitors from Liberia to enter Canada.
6. Which country has experienced two devastating earthquakes in recent weeks?
Additional notes: On April 25, the 7.8 magnitude first quake killed over 8,000 people and left the country devastated. Two and half weeks later on May 12, Nepal experienced a second quake of 7.3 magnitude, also killing hundreds of people.
7. Which country won the Hockey World Cup?
Additional notes: After five years of losing in the quarter-finals, Canada came up perfect this time to beat defending champions Russia.
8. Who is leaving Springfield?
Additional notes: Dan does the voice-over for Homer and a few other characters on the Simpsons. Harry does the voice-over for Ned Flanders, the neighbor, and Mr. Burns, the boss.
9. Who won the CBC Searchlight competition for best new musician(s) in Canada?
Additional notes: Orange O’clock won $20,000 in Yamaha music equipment and will perform at the CBC Music Festival.
10. Electricity-generating tidal turbines hooked into the power grid will soon be operating. Where?
Additional notes: The turbines will be the first installed at the Fundy Ocean Research Centre for Energy (FORCE) since it completed the placement of submarine power cables to connect test devices to the power grid.
Click here to view questions.