Here are the answers to our quiz on key news topics from September, plus some additional background information.
1. How many medals did Canada win in the Pan Am Games this summer?
Additional notes: Canada won 78 gold medals, 68 silver medals and 70 bronze medals, totalling 217. It was second in the overall medal count.
2. How many of the competing athletes in the Pan Am Games won multiple medals?
Additional notes: Canada came in second to Brazil in this category.
3. The Blue Jays broke a record from 61 years ago. What is it?
Additional notes: The Blue Jays won 11 straight June 2-14, 2015 and August 2-15, 2015. The last time this happened was in 1954 when the Cleveland Indians had two winning streaks of at least 11 games in the same season.
4. Thousands of migrants are seeking asylum and refugee status in Europe. Where are they coming from?
Additional notes: Syrians who have fled war in their own country have spent months in refugee camps in Turkey and are now moving west in hope of safety, food and shelter. Many are seeking asylum in Germany, Austria and Hungary.
5. How many parties are running the upcoming Federal election?
Additional notes: the following parties are running for election and whoever wins will have their leader as Prime Minister: Conservatives under leader Stephen Harper, NDP under Tom Mulcair, Liberals under Justin Trudeau, Bloc Québécois under Gilles Duceppe. Elizabeth May is leader of the Green Party and Jean-Francois Fortin leader of the Strength in Democracy party.
6. Canada is experiencing a technical recession. What does this mean?
Additional notes: Canada’s Gross Domestic Product has declined for two consecutive quarters, thus putting the country in a technical recession. Job growth in August is creating a positive outlook for a third quarter increase.
7. How many candidates are in the running for United States President, 2016?
Additional notes: There are (so far) five candidates vying for the Democratic ticket and 17 candidates for the Republican ticket. The Republican debate had to be divided into two tiers to accommodate all the hopeful candidates. President Obama is not allowed to seek a third term under the US constitution.
8. The crash in oil prices has been a gift to what industry?
Additional notes: Oil tanker demand has increased significantly and companies have raised their daily rates to as much as $90,000 from the traditional $10,000. In addition the cost of operating the tanker is down significantly as the price of fuel is almost 50% less.
9. Which country holds the largest cache of foreign exchange reserves?
Additional notes: China holds $3.56 trillion in foreign reserves, down from $4 trillion. China has been selling its reserves to slow down the exodus of investment from China.
10. Apple is making a major announcement in September. What is it?
Additional notes: Apple is entering the competitive world of console gaming, competing with Nintendo and Sony allowing people to play games on their TV. Apple also unveiled a larger iPad tablet, a TV box with its own app store and new iPhones that can detect how firmly their screens are being pressed.
Click here to view questions.