Here are the answers to our September quiz on key news topics, plus some additional background information.
1. What is the air passenger bill of rights?
Additional notes: The first phase of the regulation went into effect July 15, 2019, and the second phase goes into effect December 15, 2019
2. What anniversary was celebrated July 20, 2019?
Additional notes: Neil Armstrong stepped down onto the moon and made this remark that remains highly quoted to this day: “That’s one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind”
3. Who became the new prime minister of Britain in July?
Additional notes: Boris Johnson was elected by Conservative party members when Elizabeth May stepped down. His main mandate is to navigate Brexit and ensure Britain’s economic viability.
4. What is the significance of October 31, 2019?
Additional notes: Boris Johnson is trying to negotiate a deal before this deadline.
5. Under what circumstances can Canadians apply for a free no-wait pardon?
Additional notes: Any Canadian who has a cannabis conviction prior to legalization can apply.
6. The federal government has put protection in place for what percentage of Canada’s coastline?
Additional notes: This is up from less than 1% in 2015.
7. What is Canada Lands Corporation?
8. What is article 370 in India’s constitution?
Additional notes: This article gives special status to Jammu and Kashmir, a state in India’s north, allowing it to have a separate constitution. This has been the subject of dispute between India, Pakistan and China. In August 2019 India revoked the special status.
9. Who is Bianca Andreescu?
Additional notes|: She was ranked number 14 by the Women’s Tennis Association in August and is on the verge of cracking the top 10.
10. Why are the fires in the Amazon a concern for the whole world?
11. Why are residents of Hong Kong protesting against the government?
Additional notes: The extradition bill, if enacted, would place Hong Kong people and its visitors under mainland China’s jurisdiction, undermining the autonomy of the region.
Click here to view the questions.