This article explores sponsorship and marketing opportunities for celebrity athletes.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Key Questions to Explore:
- How can a celebrity athlete be prudent in determining which brands to endorse?
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will have the opportunity to consider both sides of a sponsorship relationship.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask students if they know who Bianca Andreescu is.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Using the Internet, have students explore the sponsorships that Bianca has. In small groups they should discuss why they are good for her. Good for the sponsor? What are the risks for Bianca? For the sponsor?
- The article suggests Bianca should be prudent and sign sponsorship deals now but also be selective when deciding what sponsorship deals to take on. Students should brainstorm criteria that would help Bianca decide which sponsorships to take on and share with a classmate.
- Have students assume the role of an agent and create a digital presentation detailing the benefits of Bianca as an effective product endorser and suggestions for marketing opportunities that would be presented to potential sponsors that meet the criteria outlined in #4.
- Have them present their work to a group of four classmates and solicit feedback.
Consolidation of Learning:
- After the presentations are completed, ask students to review their efforts to promote Bianca and consider why a sponsor would find this interesting and profitable. Have them write a brief paragraph explaining their thoughts.
- Students understand why endorsements and sponsorships are so valued by the brand and the athlete.
- The article mentions that this could be an epic opportunity for Canadian brands. Have students discuss why. How can they take advantage of this opportunity?