This article makes the case for supporting women in growing entrepreneurial ventures.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, social studies
Key Questions to Explore:
- Why is it important to support women in growing entrepreneurial ventures?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This lesson explores strategies to support women entrepreneurs in the growth of their ventures
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask the class what they know about the Canada-United States Council for Advancement of Women Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders.
- Ask them what they suppose such a group would do.
- Outline for the class some of the data presented in the article.
- In groups of four, have students develop a plan to support women in the growth of their ventures. The plan should include communication, education, financing, overcoming barriers and any other areas they come up with.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- The article refers to the ‘Own the Podium’ Olympic strategy that has supported Canadian athletes to accomplish positive results. How could a strategy for supporting women entrepreneurs be similar to and/or different from this strategy? Students can use a T chart to make the comparison.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have students compare the strategy developed in their group to what the article is recommending.
- Students understand why it is important to support women who are trying to grow their ventures.
- In pairs, have students interview a female entrepreneur and test their ideas on how to support women. Students can bring their findings back to the class for discussion.