This article outlines four strategies that service companies can use to differentiate themselves from their competitors.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, business management, marketing
Key Questions to Explore:
- Why is innovation critical to the service sector?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This lesson introduces new concepts focused on innovation.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask students to differentiate between a service business and a non-service business, using examples.
- Discuss the concept of innovation with the class and ask for some examples of innovation from some of their favorite businesses.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- In groups of four, have students identify examples for each of the innovation strategies outlined in the article.
- Have students brainstorm additional ideas for two services.
- Combine groups and have them share their ideas.
- Ask for examples to share with the class.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have students prepare a one minute paper on the value of innovation to the service sector.
- Students understand innovation and how it can be applied in the service sector.
- In pairs, have students visit a local service business and inquire how they innovate to stay ahead of the competition. Have them report back to the class.