This article discusses a new approach to advertising that appears to advance the profitability of the company.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, marketing, advertising
Key Questions to Explore:
- What is the impact when an organization embodies a social purpose in its promotions?
Copies of the article
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will explore the impact of corporate social responsibility on consumerism.
- Action (lesson plan and task):
- Discuss: what is social responsibility?
- Ask students what value is there for a company to connect their promotional activities with social issues.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Organize students into groups of four or so. In their groups have students discuss:
- How the “No baby unhugged” campaign is aligned with principles of successful promotion
- Ask them why the campaign was awarded the Grand Prix at the Cassie Awards.
- Why do they think the overall sales increased so significantly?
- Have students share the highlights of their discussion with the class.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have students prepare a diagram outlining the benefits of the campaign to the company, the hospital partners, the babies and the families.
- Students understand the impact of promoting with social purpose to all stakeholders.
- Have students identify other companies that utilize social purpose marketing and examine the reasons behind it.