This article is a case study of a relative newcomer to the furniture industry in Canada.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, marketing, online sales, channels of distribution
Key Questions to Explore:
- What distribution channels are best for the consumer while also being cost-effective for a company?
Copies of the article
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students will examine various distribution channels and how they can work for an online retailer.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Review channels of distribution with the class.
- Discuss supply chain optimization
- Distribute the first half of the article (case study) for the class to read.
- In pairs, have students brainstorm solutions for The Challenge: How can a small company like Rove Concepts improve its supply chain to ensure high-quality delivery no matter where the customer is?
- Combine pairs and have students share their responses.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Distribute the expert advice and have students read and compare the expert advice to their own brainstormed solutions. Have them look for what was similar and what was different.
- Students understand supply chain distribution and how to add value along the way.
- Ask students to write a one or two paragraph piece of advice on how to optimize supply chain distribution for an online retailer.