This article explores how advances in technology and artificial intelligence (AI) can benefit different organizations.
Appropriate Subject Area(s)
Market research, marketing, careers, opportunity Identification
Key Questions to Explore:
- What new jobs will be created as technology evolves?
Access to the article for students.
Introduction to lesson and task:
Students can apply a case study method to this article.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Survey the class to see what they understand AI to be. Discuss examples where AI is in use within their everyday lives.
- Using Think-Pair-Share, ask students to think about two other uses for AI. Discuss as a class.
- Ask students what analytics are. How might they be used in different settings? For example, a school, a hospital, a retail store, a professional sports team?
- Distribute the article for reading.
- In groups of four, have students respond to the following questions:
- The article mentions that initially the app was developed for figure skating; how would it be applied to that sport?
- What other activities could this app be used for?
- What are the benefits to a professional sports team in using this?
- How will it be integrated into training?
- Combine groups and have them discuss their responses.
Consolidation of Learning
- In groups of four, ask students: what value does Sportlogiq analytics bring to sports broadcasters? Then ask why that is important. Keep asking why — up to nine times – so that each member of the group can go deeper into their understanding of how this tool can transform the industry.
- Students understand the value of AI and its impact on different sectors.
- The article mentions that NHL teams are hiring analytics specialists. Have students search to understand what this job is, what they have to do to prepare for such a job. Have students explore other new careers that result from the integration of AI into different enterprises.