This article is a great case study of a start up using new technologies to add value.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Key Questions to Explore:
- How do start ups consider and overcome challenges along the way?
Introduction to lesson and task:
Solink is a start up company that has found a way to link existing systems and provide intelligence that each system independently could not provide.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Distribute article for reading. Ask students to read it two or three times to become familiar with key points.
- Independently, ask students to make notes regarding key ideas in the article.
- Have students independently consider the following questions:
- What is the key business concept Solink is promoting?
- What are the challenges, opportunities and/or problems that Solink faces?
- What are the causes of these?
- What level of urgency is there to the situation?
- Who is the decision maker?
- What is the impact on profitability?
- What is the impact on the strategic direction of the company?
- What is the competitive advantage?
- Develop recommendations/solutions to your findings.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have students present their findings to a small group of classmates.
- Students understand how to work through a case study.
- In groups of four, have students build consensus on a recommendation for Solink.