The theme of the decade is disruption. This article is another example of disruption and one way it is positively affecting Canadian content in the entertainment industry.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, entrepreneurship, technology, disruption
Key Questions to Explore:
- What bold ideas can help mergers of this nature be successful?
Introduction to lesson and task:
The merger of product and technology can lead to many positive outcomes. Organizations need to find ways to support their employees in thinking differently to identify new opportunities.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Using 1-2-4-all, ask students to brainstorm what toys have been made into entertainment products, e.g. TV shows, movies and/or video games. (In 1-2-4-all, students start thinking independently, then in pairs to share and grow their list, then in fours to continue to brainstorm and share with the class).
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Ask students to write a bold idea on an index card that will help his merger make the best of the opportunity.
- Ask everyone to stand up and start milling around the classroom and pass the index cards from one to another as they mill. Clap your hands and have people stop passing cards and pair up to exchange thoughts on the cards in their hands. Have each student rate the idea they have in their hand by scoring it on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the best idea, and write it on the back of the card.
- Continue passing cards as students mill about and repeat the cycle of scoring five times.
- At the end of the five rounds of scoring have students add up the score on the back of the card in their hand.
- Ask if any ideas scored 25, 24 etc. The ideas with the top 5-10 scores, depending on how many students are in the class, are posted on the board or flip chart.
Consolidation of Learning:
- In groups of four, have students select one of the top ideas and develop an action plan to make it happen.
- Students understand how to generate bold ideas.
- Students prepare a short presentation to Hasbro and eOne promoting their bold idea and action plan.