This article examines the transitions that corporations go through when the founder leaves.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Entrepreneurship, marketing, business administration
Key Questions to Explore:
- What impact do mental health challenges have on the workplace?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This article describes a company startup and the growing pains experienced when the founder leaves.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Ask the class to read the article.
- Using a Histogram, have students work in groups of four and prepare a picto/histogram for Deciem.
- Ask students to research product lines owned by Deciem.
- Have them select one of the product lines and write a brief paragraph describing the product and the target market.
- Have students share their findings with the class.
- Have a class discussion about mental health challenges in the workplace.
- Using 1-2-4-all, ask students to make a list of factors related to mental health challenges in the work place. Instruct them to include the smallest (micro-individuals, teams) the meso (organizations and networks) and the macro (culture, politics, myths) that contribute to mental health challenges in the workplace. Allow five minutes for individuals to jot down their ideas, eight minutes to pair, 14 minutes for four and 15 minutes for all.
Consolidation of Learning:
- As a class, discuss what were the factors that led to Nicola Kilner becoming the CEO. And what level do they fit: micro, meso or macro?
- Students understand the impact of mental health challenges in the workplace.
- Have students discuss what resources have been invested to support mental health challenges at Deciem. What resources could be available at Deciem or another organization to support employees with mental health challenges?