The article summarizes a start-up yoga wear manufacturer’s foray into a well established market.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Marketing, entrepreneurship, communications
Key Questions to Explore:
- How does a start-up company grow and maintain its connection to the grassroots of the industry at the same time?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This is a case study in two parts: first, the case is outlined, and students have an opportunity to explore solutions; second, the advice of experts is considered.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Review the process of examining a case study or venture profile with the class.
- Distribute the case study portion of the article, up until The Experts Weigh in. Ask students to read for homework.
- In the next class, ask the following questions about the case study:
- What distinguishes Inner Fire’s line of yoga-wear from other yoga-wear available on the market?
- How has Leah uses Luminaries to promote her business?
- Do you agree with the concept of Luminaries or do you think there is another concept that will make the business grow faster?
- Leah mentions that she has learned a lot from Lululemon. Brainstorm with a classmate what you think she may have learned.
- What recommendations do you have to help Leah manage the rapid growth of Inner Fire?
- Complete the consolidation of learning activity prior to sharing what the experts suggest.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Discuss how technology can assist Leah in growing her business and staying in touch with the grass root members of the yoga community.
- Students are able to understand the challenges faced by start-up companies who have rapid growth and can make recommendations for managing the growth.
- Distribute The Experts Weigh in and ask students to read the advice given to Leah. In small groups, have students compare the advice the experts offered with the advice they had given. Evaluate the advice and make recommendations for moving forward.