This article explores a unique marketing classification.
Appropriate Subject Area(s):
Consumer preference, entrepreneurship, business management, marketing
Key Questions to Explore:
- How does positioning of products in the marketplace influence consumer behaviour?
Introduction to lesson and task:
This lesson looks at brand positioning from a different perspective.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Discuss with the class the evolution of the marketplace and how technology has impacted how organizations market their products and services.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Using the quadrant chart (Appendix A), have students work in teams to place the brands identified in the article in the quadrants.
- Ask students to discuss the consumer demographics that would be attracted to the brands in each quadrant, and why.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Ask students to add two brands to each quadrant, one in Fashion and one in Sports. Have each team prepare a rationale for their decisions and outline the characteristics of the typical consumer for each.
- Students can articulate why a brand fits into a quadrant and a profile of the typical consumer.
- Have students prepare a poster and presentation about their completed chart. Using the software App Aurasma.com, have them create an aura presentation to share with classmates. This is free software. Students create their video presentation and it gets associated with their poster. Viewers then visit the poster and use the Aurasma App to watch and hear the video.