The article outlines possibilities for brand endorsements for Canadian swimmer Penny Oleksiak, a multiple medal winner at the Rio Olympics.
Appropriate Subject Areas:
Introduction to lesson and task:
Brands are always on the lookout for celebrity endorsements and Olympic athletes are sometimes just the connection they want for their product or service.
Action (lesson plan and task):
- Discuss the following questions and issues with students:
- Do they know who Penny Oleksiak is?
- Can they name other Canadian Olympians?
- Ask them to suggest why an Olympian would be of interest to corporate sponsors.
- Put them in small groups and have them brainstorm and list what corporate sponsors might be interested in Penny Oleksiak. Beside each sponsor, give a reason they might be interested in her.
- Distribute the article for reading.
- Have the students, now in pairs, discuss the role social media can play in helping an Olympian secure endorsements.
- See if they can suggest circumstances in which an Olympian might not want to secure lucrative corporate endorsements.
Consolidation of Learning:
- Have the students compare and contrast brand endorsements of Olympians with those of pro athletes and celebrities. Have them create a chart including the value-added of each.
- At the end of this lesson students will be able to describe the value of a celebrity sponsorship for a brand.
- Evaluate the students’ charts